爱上海YE

Chikungunya cases surge in Dominican Republic, Haiti

first_imgChikungunya infections in Caribbean countries spiked last week, led by quickly growing numbers mainly in the Latin parts of the region, according to the latest update from the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).Also two new countries—Barbados and Chile—are investigating their first suspected or confirmed imported cases, according to media and infectious disease reporting system sources.The outbreak of the mosquito-borne disease has now reached 107,424 suspected or confirmed cases, which is 41,204 higher than the 66,220 cases reported the previous week, PAHO said in a May 30 update. It reported 1 more death from the disease, edging the total to 14.PAHO’s numbers are higher than reported in today’s communicable disease threat update from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), especially for the Dominican Republic. PAHO said the country has had a massive jump, from 8,058 suspected cases on May 23 to 38,639 on May 30. In contrast, the ECDC lists 8,017 suspected cases in the Dominican Republic.PAHO said suspected chikungunya cases in Haiti rose from 3,460 the week before to 6,312 last week. The ECDC, which does not list suspected cases for Haiti, reports 632 confirmed cases in the country. Its numbers for both countries did not change from the previous week’s report.Haiti’s health ministry said infections in the country have reached 15,000, according to a report yesterday from Haiti Libre.The ECDC in its update said the number of new cases last week grew in a handful of countries, including Dominica, where infections rose from 1,578 suspected cases to 1,817; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, where suspected and confirmed cases climbed from 27 to 167; and St. Kitts and Nevis, where confirmed cases rose from 1 to 21.The ECDC reports only 63,889 confirmed, probable, or suspected cases for the region.Suspected cases in BarbadosElsewhere, Barbados’ health ministry is investigating seven suspected cases, including two in people who had just returned from Dominica, according to a May 31 report from the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC).Samples from the patients were sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency for testing on May 29, according to the report.Chile reports first imported caseIn Chile, health officials have confirmed the country’s first case, in a 49-year-old woman who had visited the Dominican Republic between Apr 29 and May 6, according to a ProMED Mail post today submitted by Cecilia Perret, MD, a pediatrician and infectious disease specialist in Santiago, Chile. ProMED Mail is the online reporting system of the International Society for Infectious Diseases.Perret said on May 9 the patient came down with a low-grade fever and intense pain in her wrists, interphalangeal joints, ankles, and knees. The woman also had a rash on her limbs that lasted 2 days.Perret said the first sample taken on day 2 of the patient’s illness was negative for chikungunya and dengue, but an indirect immunofluorescence assay on day 6 was positive.See also:May 30 PAHO reportJun 2 ECDC weekly communicable disease threat reportJun 1 Haiti Libre storyMay 31 CMC reportJun 2 ProMED Mail postlast_img read more

0
Read More

USD400 mn earmarked for Mozambique LNG

first_imgThe Mozambique LNG Area 1 project is being led by Total alongside Mitsui, Oil India, ONGC Videsh, Bharat Petroleum, PTT Exploration, as well as Mozambique’s national oil and gas company ENH.Financial close of the loan is expected within the first half of 2020. Commenting on the approval, African Development Bank’s president, Akinwumi Adesina, said: “Through its participation, the African Development Bank again demonstrates its leading role in supporting Africa’s transformation. The catalytic effect brought about by the bank is strategically aimed to help transform Mozambique from [a] ‘developing’ to ‘developed’ nation.”www.afdb.orglast_img read more

0
Read More

Neymar expresses his dislike for PSG, wants to return to Barcelona

first_imgImage Courtesy: ReutersAdvertisementPSG superstar Neymar has told that he doesn’t want to play for the club ever again, after heavy distaste for the atmosphere at the club and also following the recent clash with club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.Image Courtesy: ReutersThe Brazilian was signed from FC Barcelona for a world record fee of £198m in the 2017 summer transfer window, but reports acccording to SPORT suggest it was a big mistake for the player.Clashes with teammate Edinson Cavani, frequent fallout with club doctors, injuries before crucial fixtures, feeling the club and the crowd to be small, have caused the 27-year old to grow distaste for the City of Love.According to sources from SPORT, Neymar asked his father to “Take me back to Barça”, and even decided to fly back to Brazil before the end of the season during his first year at Parc des Princes, after texting Al-Khelaifi “I do not want to play more in PSG. I want to go back to my house, where I never should have left.”The tension between the player and the president is higher after Khelaifi’s recent comments that he didn’t want any ‘celebrity behaviour’ at the club and that ‘nobody forced him [Neymar] to sign here’.However, PSG is ready to sell Neymar with a ‘suitable fee’, with Spanish giants Real Madrid already pursing the player.Advertisementlast_img read more

0
Read More